Learn how to make sourdough bread with this simple recipe.
Ready to take your sourdough bread to the next level now that your sourdough starter is set to go?! This recipe will create a beautiful artisan-style bread, and is a step up from basic “no-knead” recipes. It creates a bread with a nice open crumb and crisp crust.
This recipe by Honorbread is not complicated, but it does require you to be home. Perfect for those of us working at home! You can even take it with you (in a plastic container) if you need to go out and simply fold when required.
- 200g of levain (build the levain the night before you bake: Mix 150g of flour, 150g water and 1 tbsp of starter together. Cover and leave at room temperature overnight).
- 700g water
- 800g unbleached white bakers flour
- 100g whole wheat bakers flour
- 100g rye flour
- 20g salt
- 50g water
- Mix all the ingredients except salt and water, let rest for 30 minutes (autolyse).
- Do folds every half an hour for 2 hours (x4 times).
- Then every hour for 2 hours (x2 times).
- Leave to rise for 3-4 hours.
- Shape into rounds on the bench, sprinkle with flour and cover for half an hour.
- Then shape into loaves and place into bread bannetons or equivalent (you can use a clean floured teatowel and a colander if all else fails!).
- Leave to rise in a warm place for 3-4 hours or place in the fridge covered overnight.
- Preheat oven to 260ºC. Place ceramic pot or enamel baking dish in at the oven.
- When hot, take out and sprinkle pots with polenta to prevent sticking.
- Place loaves in the pots with lids.
- Cook for 20 minutes, remove lids and cook for another 30-40 minutes.
- Look for colour of crust or if it sounds hollow when tapped.
If you would like to take a bread making course in the beautiful Bermagui NSW when things return to normal, check out Honorbread.
Drop our video a “like” if you found it handy and support our work by subscribing to the magazine. You can also sign up to our free fortnightly eNewsletter for fresh tutorials, recipes and podcasts on living a resilient home-based life.