This delicious Indian lemon pickle condiment is perfect on sandwiches and anything else you wish to add some zest to!
Spicy Indian Lemon Pickle Recipe
- 4–5 medium lemons (thin skinned meyer variety work best)
- 4 fresh or dried chillies, finely chopped (add more if you’re adventurous!)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup Murray River salt flakes
- 1 tbsp fine chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp asafoetida (optional)
- 4–5 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp rice bran oil
1. Wash and dry the lemons. Cut the lemons into small 2-3cm wedges.
2. In a clean sterilised jar layer lemons and salt evenly. Close the lid and leave the jar on a sunny windowsill for three weeks, shaking daily to ensure all lemons are evenly cured with the salt.
3. In a small pan, dry roast fenugreek seeds until they just begin to colour. Cool and grind in a mortar and pestle.
4. In the same pan heat rice bran oil, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds and cook stirring over a high heat until mustard seeds start popping. Add garlic cook a further minute over high heat.
5. Lower the heat and add chillies, curry leaves, cured lemon pieces and their juice and cook for a further two minutes.
6. Add red chilli powder, fenugreek and turmeric and stir through until each lemon wedge is coated. Add asofeitada (if using) and mix well. Turn off the heat.
7. Cool to room temperature. Pack pickles into sterilised jars and cover with lids. The Indian lemon pickle can be stored for three months at room temperature or up to six months in a fridge.