Looking to zero waste your beauty routine? We show you how to make natural lip balm.
Fewer things makes a person feel more glamourous than a bit of shine on the lips!
This “how to make natural lip balm” recipe is easy and fun, and can be made in dozens of lip-safe colours using mineral micas.
I don’t add essential oils to mine, but a lot of my friends do. You can also add natural flavours such as honey or stevia if you don’t like the glycerine taste. As long as you use cosmetic or food grade glycerine it will be lip-safe.
I prefer mineral mica colours over liquid colours because most liquid colours are full of chemicals and all have preservatives I choose to avoid.
Mica colours are natural (or re-creations of natural products) which do not contain chemicals and preservatives. Always use lip-safe colours on lips, and avoid heavy metals!
- 3 teaspoons vegetable glycerine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lip-safe mica colour
- 3 drops food grade essential oil (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon honey or stevia (optional)
- You will also need a 15ml glass pot or lip gloss tube.
1. Add all ingredients to a small mixing bowl and stir well with a spatula, ensuring there are no lumps.
2. Transfer the mixture to a glass pot or lip gloss tube. This will last up to twelve months.
3. The mineral mica colour powder may settle out, so shake or stir immediately before use. I add a small stainless steel bead to mine to make it easy to mix with a quick shake!